Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Video Tune of the Week for 03/16/09 -- Voivod, Tribal Convictions

Hey, everybody! This week's tune will have to be a video again as I just wrapped up our corporate taxes for last year. They're due today, and I just got back from the downtown post office. The envelope was time-stamped right around 11:30 PM. Not too bad.

I really like Voivod. I've not posted any of their music on this blog, nor the old one, largely because I like them so much. I think that's why I've posted maybe one song from Dream Theater, no Iron Maiden, etc. I could write books on why I like their music, and I just don't have the time or energy.

I'm not an enormous fan of Voivod's early work, which this video is from (1988). However, this song is certainly interesting. Their early sound takes a bit of getting used to, and the style is sort of impossible to define. It should be noted that their late guitarist, Piggy (Denis D'Amour), was a ground-breaking musician who defined a style of playing all his own. He's also known for his use of a very interesting looking (and sounding) guitar. It had a hollow body with a metal outer-edge.

Their most recent two albums are incredible as far as I'm concerned. These two CDs, although excellent, are not well-known in the US from what I can tell, possibly because Voivod is a Candian band. I don't know. I own both CDs, and I intend to play them in the not-too-distant future. There's a lot I'd like to say about these albums.

I hope you enjoy the video. It's definitely different, and it gives you a feel for their early style of thrash metal.

No comments: